Friday, May 11, 2012

Film Awards from Countries Outside the United States

There are 25 different countries represented here, as well as two pan-continental film awards.  I tried to track down any country that had had a regular film awards process for more than the last few years. 

While doing this I found that both Wikipedia and IMDB are a mess in regards to some of their entries (especially Wikipedia).  Where possible I verified the lists presented here on the web pages of those country’s film associations, but since I don’t speak dozens of foreign languages, I was not always able to do this.  I have noted in some of the spreadsheets where lists may be off a little.  If you have a definitive source for one of these and it differs from what I have here, please let me know in the comments.

It was a lot of work doing this, but on the plus side, after transcribing and translating these lists I now have a 5-10 word vocabulary in a couple dozen languages.

Because there were so many of them I did not embed the spreadsheets directly into this page.  Instead I embedded links to the spreadsheets.  By clicking on them you will be able to see/download the ones you want.  For all of these, by placing a “1” in the “Seen?” column to indicate you have seen the film you will get a running total and percentage at the bottom of the sheet.

The Americas:

Note: Brazil’s Silver Daisies are given to several films most years and usually represent documentaries and shorts.  I chose not to include them.

Argentina – Silver Condors


Canada
– Genies


Mexico – Ariels



Asia and Oceania:

Asia Pacific Screen Awards



Australia
– AACTAs



China
– Golden Roosters



Hong Kong



India
(both the Filmfare Awards and National Film Awards are included)



Japan



New Zealand



South Korea
– Grand Bells



Taiwan
– Golden Horses



Europe:

Belgium (both Joseph Plateau and Magritte Awards are included)



The Czech Republic – Lions



Denmark
– Roberts (the Bodil Awards are not included since those are critics’ awards)



European Film Awards



Finland
– Jussis



France – Cesars



Germany
– Lolas



Ireland



Italy
– Davids



Norway
– Amandas



Poland



Russia
– Nikas (Yes, I know more of Russia is in Asia than Europe, but they are westward facing culturally)



Spain
– Goyas



Sweden
– Guldbagges



The U.K. – BAFTAs



If you see any mistakes, typos, etc., or have suggestions on how to improve these tracking sheets, please let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment